REVIEW: NIGHT CANDY BY MAX TOMLINSON


 

Pub Date: 25 July 2023

Author: Max Tomlinson

Genres: Mystery, Thriller

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

“1970s San Francisco: the sights, the sounds, the serial killers.”

In 1979, a serial killer known as "Night Candy" is killing sex workers, and Colleen Hayes is introduced to us. She is a private eye without a license who has a hard exterior with a soft heart.

When Colleen's friend, SFPD Inspector Owens, is charged with killing his ex-wife, things only become messier. His ex-wife was discovered charred in a fire the very night they were attempting to get back together. Colleen begins to question whether Owens could actually be the perpetrator. Colleen has to assist Owens in locating the true killer of his ex-wife, despite her reservations.

While Night Candy is still out there, she is also closely monitoring a group of sex workers. But suddenly one of the girls she is keeping an eye on vanishes.

This is the first book I've read by this author. It is part of a series, although it may also be read as a stand-alone.   Despite my expectations, I wasn't at all confused. Without spoiling the previous books or divulging too much, the author provides you the backstories. I appreciate that.

The writing in this book is excellent. Many thrillers rely on cheap tactics and strange twists for shock effect; however, this thriller does not. This one's twists felt deliberate, planned, and true to the plot.

Colleen Hayes, the protagonist, is a likeable but imperfect character. I like her refusal to mindlessly accept the rules. She trusts her intuition and gets the job done. I genuinely enjoyed the most of the characters; they were all memorable and I enjoyed getting to know them.

The ending was a great surprise and a fitting end to the story. I'm now eager to read the previous four books in the series. Overall, I would definitely recommend this book to others.

I'm grateful to NetGalley for giving me the chance to discover this book and share my thoughts with others.

Comments

Popular Posts